Clark Park Farmstand Manager
Lunaria Gardens is seeking a 2016 Farmstand Manager to work Saturdays at the Clark Park Farmers Market in West Philadelphia.
Job type: Part-time seasonal. Saturday morning availability is required, approximately 7:30a-3p. Possible option to assist in nursery in Roxborough as well.
Season term: We are asking for a commitment of Saturday mornings, April 2 through June 18, 2016. Lunaria Gardens will likely continue market participation beyond this point, but we would discuss summer plans at a later date.
Compensation: $10-16/ hr ($7.25/ hr with sales commission)
Position posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016
Contact: Kristen Jas Vietty, [email protected] (no phone calls)
Lunaria Gardens will be participating in The Food Trust’s Clark Park Farmers Market in Spring 2016. At this market, we will be primarily offering potted plants: edibles, natives, ornamental perennials, and houseplants. We will also carry a limited selection of flower bouquets and gardening supplies. The director will train and assist, but the Farmstand Manager is in charge of ensuring everything runs smoothly each Saturday.
– Loading vehicle at nursery in Roxborough/ Manayunk on Saturday morning (or Friday evening if preferred).
– Unloading vehicle and creating display at Clark Park Farmers Market: setting up tent, tables, merchandise display, signage.
– Photographing display for Instagram/ Facebook promotion.
– Assisting customers with selecting merchandise, taking special order requests, selling subscription products. Cultivating relationships and repeat customers, but not allowing conversations to interfere with duties.
– Handling cash and credit card sales, recording sales data, and maintaining optimal visual display throughout market hours.
– Breaking down display and loading vehicle.
– Unloading vehicle back at nursery, reporting any issues or trends to director.
– Must have familiarity with plants and their general growing requirements. Applicant must have some gardening/ farming/ ecological know-how, like cool-season vs tender vegetables, plant families, sun-shade requirements, etc. You will be helping people select plants, so you need to have some base knowledge, as well as an interest in improving it through ongoing training and self-study.
– Must be excellent with customer service and sales, and possess an outgoing, personable, and positive nature.
– Must be punctual, communicative, organized, and comfortable jumping in and figuring things out.
– Must be able to comfortably lift 50 pounds and withstand standing and sitting outside (under tent) in all weather conditions.
– Must commit to work Saturday mornings from mid-March through mid-June.
– Must possess valid drivers license and a vehicle.
– Ideal applicant will live in the vicinity of West Philadelphia, and have some connection to the community.
– Familiarity with botanical nomenclature, gardening, landscaping, agriculture, permaculture, or ecology.
– Interest in assisting with occasional nursery operations (seeding, transplanting, watering, weeding, harvesting) during peak season.
– Interest or experience in floriculture is a plus, and could elicit additional Friday hours.
– Experience in visual display and merchandising is a plus, as well as any experience doing other markets or pop-up events.
– Do you have experience with social media/ email marketing, web design, construction, proposal writing, or other cool skills? Let us know.
About Lunaria Gardens:
Lunaria Gardens specializes in edibles, natives, and perennials for the landscape, and houseplants, floral arrangements, and seasonal decor for the home. Our focus is on habitat creation, food production, and sustainable beauty. New for the 2016 are customized plant assortments and floral subscriptions. Owner-operator Kristen Jas Vietty has a background in visual arts, administration, music, and permaculture design at residential, farm, and municipal scales.
To be considered, send email to Kristen Jas Vietty: [email protected] (no phone calls)
Email subject format: “Clark Park Farmstand Manager: (Your full name)”
Please either attach a resume in PDF or Word format, or include link to an online resume.
No formal letter of interest required. Instead, either in the email body or in an attached document, answer the following questions in list or paragraph form:
1. Can you commit to working most Saturdays through June 18? Sometimes last-minute situations arise, but please specify if you already have trips or weddings booked on certain dates.
2. Do you have a valid drivers license? Do you have a vehicle with ability to assist with transport of tent, tables, and merchandise?
3. What are your strengths and weaknesses in your plant knowledge? We primarily sell edibles, herbs, natives, and houseplants, and limited amount of non-native ornamentals or cut flower crops.
4. Do you have interest or experience with floral design, as well as Friday availability?
5. What are you hoping to learn or gain from this position?
6. What can you bring to this position? If not listed in resume, please list any skills.
7. If not included in your resume, please list links to social media profiles, websites, links to cool projects with which you’re involved.
Please do not call to follow up on applications. Thanks much for your interest and time.
Lunaria Gardens is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
Kristen Jas Vietty